Wednesday, March 25, 2009

3 versions of The Child and Flowers

The three different views of the poem "The Child and the Flowers" by Mrs. Hemans were all very different.  The view I enjoyed the most was the "page image" view.  It looked like 3 pages from a book that you can see on your screen; it was a scanned image of the physical pages.  I could even slightly see the words on the other side of the page.  I liked this the best because it was like I was reading an actual book, which I like more then reading words on a screen.  Getting to the end of a page feels good to me, like I'm progressing through the book.  I have no interest in the Kindle from Amazon, because I would not want to read a book electronically.  The next image I enjoyed was the HTML version.  It looked a lot like a webpage, or what I am writing on this blog.  It is not as easy to read as a book, but it is still organized in a clear, concise fashion.  My weakness is when there are that many words on a computer screen, sometimes they start to blur together and I really need to focus on what I am reading to grasp it and process it so I remember it after I read it.  The worst by far for me was the TEI version.  It was one big riff-raff of words which looked like an elementary student typed it.  It was one big paragraph with no clear spacing.  Not only was it one big paragraph, but there are random words and numbers within the one large paragraph, which made it very hard to read the poem/short story.  I think that version is what people program into computers so it shows up like the HTML version, but just reading that is difficult, as difficult as it probably could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment