Friday, April 3, 2009

art & lies: chapter reading

Picasso:  These questions came to my mind to ask when reading this chapter closely...

-I wondered why the father would name his daughter Picasso, but then discourage her from painting.  I feel like if you are a painter, and name your child Picasso, it is almost like you want her to be a painter, not the opposite.
-It is also weird that the father doesn't want his daughter to follow in his footsteps.  I thought that this book might be based in an earlier time period, but later on in the chapter it says that some gate is getting torn down in 1995, so I assume it is 1995.  In 1995, I feel like working in a factory is more masculine then painting.  I guess in their setting it is not, but if someone asked me which one of those professions is more masculine, I would immediately answer factory worker.  Most parents try to push their own interests on their children as well.  If a father played basketball, a lot of times he'll try to get his son or daughter to play basketball as well.  I found it weird that the father was so against his daughter following his interest in painting.
-I don't really get the part about there being two different staircases.  I guess one might symbolize (the path she wants to take in life), and how it doesn't align with her families'?
-She is obviously not very fond of her family.  I couldn't tell if there was some sort of sexual tension between her and her brother, or if that is not even close to being the case.  She said something about how they shared rooms through adolescence, and later he wanted her to sit on his lap.  He could just have teased her a lot, I couldn't really figure that out.  On page 43, she said she hated her brother, which did not surprise me, but I was surprised when she said she loved her mother because it seemed as though she was ripping her mother apart for a lot of the chapter.
-Picasso then starts describing a ship like it is a person, and talking about all these different colors, and she painted her body all these weird colors, and I really got kind of lost.  It was like she decided to smoke marijuana, and then continue writing, and all these colors were being described that were kind of perplexing her or something.  It reminded me a little of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" or some Beatles song.  It kind of confused me as to what exactly was happening.  On the last page of the chapter, her family calls for a doctor because they think she has gone mad, so my guess is that the author was trying to show this maybe?

This story makes me feel a little disoriented towards Picasso.  The word unconventional does not begin to describe Picasso or her family.  I almost asked "What is going on?" out-loud to myself during this chapter.  The father does not want her to be an artist, but if asked how I would describe her, and the chapter in general, I would probably say very artsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment